Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: -4
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Simply put - Yes.

More details - Yes, I hate it, the game needs more excitement.

Now, secretly. I'm intentionally doing the boring things first instead of quests/random events so we don't get too many players when I'm not ready for them.
Harold Holt
RJ: Harold Holt

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 28
What about my collection of q999 items? :(
John Galt
RJ: John Galt
CO: John Galt

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Total Posts: 23
So ... not to look a gift horse in the mouth and all, but are you actually sure this is an improvement for the 21%?

I run a toy store. And looking at the graphs from last night, when this change went into effect it's great. Sales went way up. Great, right?

Except sales started to immediately tank the tick afterwards, and have been on a steady downward slide. Why? Because the various toy store items, which had been all at maybe 50-70% demand met (last I looked, probably a day or two ago I last looked seriously at demand) are now at 100% or more demand met.

So ... I mean, not to be doom-saying here, but if the downward slide continues, it could end up that toy stores have lower sales (individually) after this, because this change has absolutely killed demand due to a sales glut in the market.

D Patrick Michael
RJ: Castun

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
My supermarket sales dropped something like 60% overnight, and that's even after I expanded it another 50m^2 overnight.

:(

On a related note, maybe this will have the positive side effect of bringing down some of the ridiculously overpriced meats, assuming people adjust their prices lower to sell better anyway.
Ti Ho
RJ: ProfessorGascan
CO: Professor Gascan

+ / -

Total Posts: 3
I'm really, really confused: is this change permanent, meaning every food item now sells at like less than half of what it used to? Unless I'm missing something, aren't new players still forced to start as fruit producers in this system?
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
funny thing is that :

-> we sell less
-> demand increase
-> we sell more

nothing has changed at the end ;)
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 29
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
The complete cycle is:

->sales go down
->we whine at Scott
->a few people change stores
->supply goes down
->sales go up to a new, lower equilibrium
->we whine at Scott
->a week goes by
->correction? I don't remember a correction
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
Part of the market is adapting to changing conditions, these changes have been a while coming and theres been time to retool.
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
I really dislike the whole merge into one stack thing. It will kill the market for low quality goods completely, as nobody will buy them even if they're cheap to prevent it from ruining their higher quality goods.

Take my electronics company. I make all my own integrated circuits to make into other electronics, but I'm constantly buying cheap low quality ones off the b2b to sell in my store. With the change I'd have to stop doing that.
Mister Death

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Not really, Cian; it would still be a judgement call, just a different flavour of judgement call.

Old system: When you buy low-quality ICs, you make less profit in your stores.

New system: When you buy low-quality ICs, it dilutes your IC quality, yielding (a little) less profit in your stores and (a little) lower quality in your electronics.
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
I make very little profit from ICs anyway, I just sell them to get the extra revenue. I sell my higher ql ones at a super high price because I'm always running short of them, so I get very little revenue selling them in the store - I save them for my other electronics. I buy them b2b because I can sell those at 2x cost and make a nice profit without having to divert my factories away from the other goods. I'd just stop buying ICs from b2b completely if the change was done, because I wouldn't want to dilute the quality of my high end electronics.

It would just mean I would no longer be buying ICs from the smaller tech companies.
Toaster D'Awesome
RJ: Toaster The Awesome

+ / -

Total Posts: 14
"Allow players to only have 1 quality (as FLOAT/decimal instead of INT) of any certain good in their warehouse, everything produced automatically mixes with it. It'll greatly simplify life, the universe, and everything. (Not to mention calculations and the interface)"

If you want to stick to integer arithmetic (to see potential CPU time savings) you can instead represent each one level of Q by 100 levels, and just display them mod 100. Use integer math to divide, and just round the fraction- it'll be such small values of Q as to be not worth the effort to micromanage. You could easily use 1000 instead of 100 if you want another significant digit of quality.

Money can be done the same way (if you're not already) as it's fixed to two decimal places.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I've been using money as BIGINT, but eventually they will become FLOAT too (or DOUBLE) when the number gets too big. But quality will be FLOAT displayed as decimal because it's arguably better to the players since less "flooring" is required.
Mister Death

+ / -

I'm not debating the merits of your business model Cian, just pointing out that you have a judgement call to make in both scenarios. If the decision is different, so be it. Me, I'll be more likely to buy some bargain-priced low-quality goods if it doesn't mean having to manage two sets of books.
Innocent Bystander
RJ: Matthew Matician

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 76
I still think that a good compromise would be allow different item qualities in the warehouse but only allow one item quality to be for sale in a store slot at a time. All qualities would be floats/doubles/fixed-point numbers.

Pros: simplify store selling code since only one item in a slot can be sold at a time. allow players to have multiple stacks of different quality items that may be used for different purposes (helpful to anybody who, like Cian Kemp and myself, has two or more business needs/uses for same items at different quality points).

Cons: you need to manually mix in newly obtained items with your previous big stack if the qualities don't match up. To offset this, perhaps there could be some sort of option a person could check, like "always auto-merge similar items together".

For me, the ability to have multiple stacks of different quality product greatly outweighs the small negative of manually mixing in newly-obtained stacks of stuff.

Just my 2 x 10^-5 kilodollars.
Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.