Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Contest 9 - Room for Improvement (Ended)

Contest 9 - Room for Improvement (Ended)

Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next
Kratys Elidicium
RJ: Kratys Elidicium
CO: Dathomir Malukker

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 2
Vote 16.
Why oh why oh why do we want bots--I mean research and production queues. If they were in the game, how would they work? Would you allow the queue to produce items for a certain time (say 24 hours?) before you have to come back and queue some more things in?
John Galt
RJ: John Galt
CO: John Galt

+ / -

Total Posts: 23
I'm not sure how a production or research queue is a bot. A bot implies that decisions are being made automatically, without player intervention. That's not at all what is being proposed.

If I may be so bold to speak for others, put simply, people do not want this game to be won and lost based on who can spend the most time refreshing the site. We want to be able to plan ahead, so that instead of having to focus on the completely un-skilled aspects of the game (e.g. "I was able to check in and click a button every two hours, and thus have a huge advantage!"), we can focus on the skilled aspect of the game (market research, making decisions about what products to focus on, etc).

Queues can't make decisions. They can't tell you what products to make, or what prices to sell them at. They can't tell you when to expand your facilities, when to market (and how much), when to buy, when to sell, etc. They simply allow you to focus on making those decisions, as opposed to focusing on attempting to plan your life so that you can click a button at the exact right moment.
Kratys Elidicium
RJ: Kratys Elidicium
CO: Dathomir Malukker

+ / -

Yes, I understand, and I do want queues in, but I really don't want it to allow people to just queue up a huge line of items (cause they had the materials to do it) and sell a ton of items on the market (because they queued a ton). It basically means that after a certain point, you could last a very long time just by:
Adding the required raw materials for your items
Queuing items that use those items
Restarting the queue so you get the raw items again
Repeat until your queue is massive

There are ways around it of course, I just don't want it to turn into a game where you just sit and wait 7 days before you get a lot of stuff and sell it, and make even more materials than before. In other words, the more you play, the less you need to come back because you will be making so much money from so many materials you won't need to return. Simple solutions:
-Make it so you can't queue items unless you have the resources on hand
-Make it so the queue can only be so long

Its not a huge issue because of the way the game was designed, but you can never be too careful.
Zack WenJian
RJ: Zack
CO: Zack

+ / -

Total Posts: 114
kratys i agreed with you. If everything is "auto", it also defeat the purpose of being CEO. the way new player can catch up to a old player is being active more often than old player to do all the planning.
in a mmorpg, its like botting ><!
John Galt
RJ: John Galt
CO: John Galt

+ / -

Total Posts: 23
I think that queue or not, being active is still going to be an asset. Just because I can queue up a week of production and walk away doesn't mean it is a good idea. If I queue up production of 5 different goods based on current market research, and let's say I queue up 1 day of production for each item (items A through E), it could easily be that by the time A and B are complete, production of C is now a bad idea, because in the intervening two days, the market has changed.

(but I will end the derail, hopefully the voting can continue :))
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
(I voted for 15 tactically and stand by it because, in a way that relates to the core production queue notion here, it's about making the game be playable without having to be married to the game. A simple "I'm taking some time off" feature that would totally freeze someone's business in place would be really, really useful. Being literally frozen is punishment enough in a game where growth is the norm; everybody else is making progress while you're in limbo. But I'd have voted for 2 if 2 wasn't clearly already taking the cake.)

If you're going to put in the effort to calculate out the supply lines for a complex inventory chain, and sink production and opportunity cost into creating a surplus of unsold inventory in service of optimizing that chain, you sure as heck ought to be able to translate that to a sane queue-based production order.

A lot of thought and effort would be required to really maximize a long, complicated queue; that's equally true right now, in fact, with the distinction that you can do the math and figure stuff out and still have to come back to the computer regularly to poke a few buttons to remind the game what you managed to work out. Especially so in the case of diversified inventory, where even the best planning leaves you trying to figure out how to create enough stock across a dozen or two items to keep the store moving at smart prices without having to hit your factory interface hourly to change production runs.

If the only hope a new player has of breaking into a market that an old player has taken a strong position on is by keeping the game needlessly fiddly and hoping the old player says to hell with this, let's go bowling, the game is broken. The core thing that production queues would do is make the game more about smart business decisions and less about camping a browser screen all hours of the day.
Art Vandelay
RJ: Arthur Vandelay
CO: eightysixed

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Vote 1.
Frajic the Arch Painquisitor
RJ: Frajic

+ / -

Total Posts: 1
Vote 1, Chandler.
Corporate Greed
RJ: Corporate Greed

+ / -

Vote 2.
D I
RJ: Mark Spencer

+ / -

Vote 2.
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
I would like to see all of these implemented, but the one that will give me hours back to my life gets my vote.

I vote #1!

Edit: I just decided to adjust my supermarket prices to reflect what I can sell stuff for on the B2B. I've spent over an hour and got as far as lemon pie - not even halfway through the alphabet! And now I have to work, so the rest will have to wait for six more hours...this is a killer.
Steven Lampley
RJ: Taco

+ / -

Total Posts: 4
Vote 5
Shan Van
RJ: S. Wine
CO: Shan Van

+ / -

Total Posts: 18
Vote 2
Nwabudike Morgan
RJ: CEO Nwabudike Morgan
CO: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

+ / -

Total Posts: 108
I vote for #15.
David Donlon
RJ: Fenious Buttersmith

+ / -

Total Posts: 79
Vote 1
Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments.