Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » WHY THIS NOW?

WHY THIS NOW?

Miloš Gavrić
RJ: Gavra
CO: gavra

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 28
Big prices from import for products for supermarket...?

TOO BIG :/

More than 500% higher...
Weicong Sng
RJ: Park Min Young
CO: Psychotic Nutcase

+ / -

Total Posts: 59
so that only people who are genuinely in the food industry can benefit from it? and bandwagon jumpers are effectively ruled out.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 167
Stocking up over import in the first day or so that the food riots were in effect was a low-cost, high-return opportunity for folks not already in the food biz. You snooze, you lose; market fads are only interesting because they're unpredictable.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Just typical crying by producers to lobby government to give them a monopolized market.
It can cost 17 cents to grow something, so importers were at, say, 2.35 for that product. But player mega-farmers wouldn't sell at 12X cost for a price of about 2.05. Just not enough money to make 12X cost. So they set prices at 4.00, and were being out sold to the buying retailers by the importers. Now prices for imports are 5X retail in some cases, and the player wholesalers are at 2.5X retail. But they are happy. Their lobbyists are happy. And if they chase retailers out of the industry, as mentioned above, then apparently that is good for the over all economy.
I hope that explains it for you, Gavra.
david wile
RJ: Noxiousdog
CO: Noxiousdog

+ / -

Total Posts: 25
The previous prices were silly. At the standard 100% markup things were flying out of the store faster than I could click through them all.

It should have been done along time ago, and in other markets too, imo.

And Brent, how is it a monopoly? Plop down the industry. We can't force you out.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
And if they chase retailers out of the industry, as mentioned above, then apparently that is good for the over all economy.

I aggressively produce my own food wares specifically because I am a retailer. Giant Donut Inc. has a flagship store just under 1300m that stocks from a mix of homegrown stuff and imported goods; I make money off both, but by producing the stuff internally that I do I put my margins through the roof. I can make a great big pile of money selling them at retail.

There is money in the import-to-retail market if that's what you're into doing. I bootstrapped butts lol fashions on that basis, before the fashion fad came and went. There are other markets that are similarly underserved and priced at a reasonable level on retail. But if you dedicate yourself to import-to-retail, you are at the whims of the market.

Diversify, diversify, diversify. A business plan that cannot survive the upsetting of a core assumption is a business plan that carries significant risk.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
It made me start producing more of my own goods faster, too. In fact, I enlarged my farms to handle it. (I think there is one of your donut stores down the block from me) But it is still funny to see people trying to sell wholesale fruit for three times the going retail price. And it will make some people quit buying and stocking various items in their gas stations and such. But...that is the market economy way. We adapt or die.

The tariffs have also hit the sporting goods market. Prices today skyrocketed, considerably over their retails, on the import market. Thank goodness I opened a new factory yesterday to deal with the growing need for more goods faster. Goode Sports has also started construction on a second retail store that should see its Grand Opening tonight. Several professionals have promised to show up and forge autographs by the leading sports heroes of Econosia.
graham shearlaw
RJ: Graham
CO: Funk

+ / -

Total Posts: 48
i have payed for a 220m2 live stock farm and both slaughter and smoke houses at 10m2.
why move in to meat?, cost when i look and the cost of Bacon is up 2X i need a better why than inport
Harold Holt
RJ: Harold Holt

+ / -

Total Posts: 28
I don't see a change in price for sporting goods imports, just the usual daily fluctuations.
Jim Eikner
RJ: Jim Eikner

+ / -

Total Posts: 23
The adjustment, though understandable, was beyond credulity in its scope. No one would suddenly mark their prices far beyond the prevailing RETAIL prices. That simply means their exports fall to zero. But then again, there is no "they". Only a database and Scott. And we are his little play-toys. Much like Brent I too am moving to an internalized supply chain. Should I survive I will have a core of approximately ~20 high-dollar, high-markup items, in demand, that are mostly insulated from the vagaries of EoS. But only if I survive...
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Only a database and Scott. And we are his little play-toys
Gave me a chuckle there.

As to where I stand, just see the 2nd post in this thread:
http://www.ratjoy.com/forum/topic/forum-rules/

I try to maintain a balance between all the player "factions".
The store owners got too many advantages ever since the game got created, so I'm still trying to balance out things.
Andrew Turner
RJ: Thomas Lazygun

+ / -

Total Posts: 44
Well, I'm just waiting for the crash when all the consumers realize they have enough food stockpiled to last them for the next 3 years and all food purchases drop to nothing leaving the store owners with vast stocks of ultra-expensive food that won't sell.

You need to register or login to post a reply.