Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » We NEED input from Scott

We NEED input from Scott

Henry King
RJ: Business Tycoon
CO: BusinessTycoon

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 83
We need some attention from Scott in the game. The game generally runs itself quite well, but there are some serious problems now that need developer attention.

With the Vance/Brian exploit, and the Real Value copying of that exploit in an even more extreme case (to make a point how serious and easy to exploit that bug is and why it needs to be fixed), the game now has way to much money and the rewards of working to build a company up and make profits from business have been overshadowed by the rewards from cheating or exploitation of bugs.

I believe we need to ban the players involved (or at least, take away their cash and make them restart, if their actions are deemed to be not worth banning them for what they have done). In addition, some of the free cash distributed across the game as an indirect result of their actions needs to be removed from the game, so that we do not face a situation of hyperinflation and huge unearned cash reserves in the game.

I don't think we need a restart, but it might be the only way to deal with these abuses which have gone on without any developer attention for far too long, resulting in lots of cash across the game in many player accounts that was gained indirectly from these Vance / Brian related exploits (e.g., selling electricity for $1 or more per unit to get rich fast for lots of players).

If we need a restart, then lets fix these bugs and do it. If we don't have a restart, lets fix these bugs and move on with the game. Either way, lets get some feedback and attention from Scott here to at the very least say "I know what is going on and I have a plan to address the issues and fix the bugs."

I know fixing bugs can take some time, but at least let us know that you are still alive and still care at least a little about the game. If not, then please consider appointing someone as admin who does care about the game. I would suggest Stormhammer as a possible choice for admin of the game, but there might be others who would volunteer who would be better choices. Even if all they have power to do is remove cash from players who have abused the game, that is enough. Just give someone power to see what has happened with player transactions (especially red flagged transactions) and the power to issue fines to take away excessive cash, and we will have 90% of the problem addressed.

We still could have players exploiting the system, but if the exploits can be seen and the cash generated via exploits removed, even if the bugs creating the abuse opportunity are not fixed, the results of the exploit need not affect the game for long if we have ANYONE who is active and has even limited admin powers.
shark laser
RJ: Prince Mubune of Nigeria
CO: Semmi

+ / -

Total Posts: 32
Was it ever adequately explained why Stormhammer is the best candidate we can offer Scott to appoint as an administrator? Because if we're going to go that route, we're going to need to actually select someone for the position, not just tell him to go back to the game, take a look at all the little things he didn't touch for a long while and select a random guy or take someone from an applications pool and decide "a-yup, this is the best admin guys"

I'm one with a different candidate in mind, but I'm willing to listen.
Henry King

+ / -

I did not say Stormhammer is the only one who could do the job. I suggested that he would be a "possible choice for admin of the game". I also suggested that there might be others who would volunteer for the job. I know some people that I would NOT want to do that job, and while I won't name them, I would definitely object and maybe leave the game if one of those people were chosen. I don't want the job, but I know from what he told me once that Wookienz would be willing to take up the role of being an admin if he were asked to do so.

Wookienz also has some kind of technical job or background in IT, or at least it seems like it based on some things he has said in our discussions. He also has been playing the game for a long, long time, and is very active in the game and on the forums. More active in both the game and the forums than Stormhammer is now, so maybe a better admin choice.

Whoever is chosen, if that is a direction that Scott wants to go, it probably will be an improvement over not having anyone at all spending any time on the admin role for the game. I suppose if one of the players who were major bug users was appointed as admin, that might be worse (letting the biggest crooks take over the government?), but other than that, probably any attention from anyone would be better than no attention at all.
shark laser
RJ: Prince Mubune of Nigeria
CO: Semmi

+ / -

Total Posts: 32
It would probably be fun to have an OOCly good guy play a crook ICly, with system events and all that. Econosia taken over in coup! Glorious Leader confiscates country's supply of [insert product that doesn't actually exist]! All hail Glorious Leader! Man, I miss events.

But yeah, no argument that it will be an improvement if/when it happens. I'd dare petition to be an admin just for the reactions you guys would provide, haha~ Wouldn't actually want the job though.

I don't actually know Wookienz, or at least as much as you do. I guess I have to take your word for it. First thing I'd like to see if we actually get a new admin though is merging the two servers we have. Splitting the userbase was a bad idea when it began and continues to be one today in my opinion. We have little as is, hohoho~
Huginn penis
RJ: Kou Ichinomiya
CO: Huginn RollbackRequester

+ / -

Total Posts: 31
I see I'm late to the party, haven't checked the forums for a week silently waiting for change to come. I'd like to take this moment to step down as possible candidate, I'd rather see someone else be admin. First things first: No Scott no admin appointed no change. Guess were still stuck with the No Scott part... (yes he reacted but he didn't actually do anything noticeable to solve this problem)

The server "splitting" IMO was a good choice as it was not actually splitting the server but adding one. You can play on both and Scott could use the "test" server to do whatever he wanted and it would be tested by the players. The players knew changes could happen for good or for bad and that both could result in a rollback.

I'm not 100% sure about voting Wookie either, but as I said: first things first.

Mark Moeder
RJ: Uduak Mwenye
CO: Fluffy

+ / -

Total Posts: 40
In terms of appointing a player as admin.. I think firstly, that it wouldn't be a good idea to be both player and game moderator, so that player would have to effectively quit. Secondly, I don't think there is anyone here with both the required technical expertise AND enough time on their hands to make it happen.

I think that we especially need to remember the amount of time it costs to maintain a (zero profit) project like this in your spare time. And while I agree an occasional update from Scott might not be a bad idea, I understand very well the investment this project represents.
Theodore Clark
RJ: RV RollbackRequester
CO: Annoyed About Bugs

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 11
I would like to volunteer to be an admin, if Scott wants to have someone do the job.

Obviously, I am one of those who used the Vance bug, so that might make me an odd choice for such a role. HOWEVER, when I used it, I did so only after Vance had been using it for several weeks, and I did it in a very public and visible way to draw clear attention to the bug. In addition, I messaged Scott about how the bug worked and why it was very serious and very harmful to the game.

Regarding time, I am a Professor of Business Administration in real life, and have tenure, so can not be fired from my job. I have a lot of freedom about how I spend my time, and I would have the time to do a good job as an admin if I were appointed to such a position.

Regarding skills, I was a programmer with IBM before becoming a professor, and I am familiar with many programming languages and structures. I also have a good sense of application design, and can often find problems that others have missed, and I am very good at finding cheaters. I have been administrator in one role or another in several games in the past, and believe I would be able to do a good job both with regard to time and skill in administering the game.

As far as playing, I would agree that playing the game while also being an admin would not work well. I have tried doing so in past games, and it never works out well. I probably would have an account, to be able to test things and to see how things are working in general, but I doubt I would be a significant contributor to the economy as a player if I am also in a role as an administrator.
Nick Sirock
RJ: Sam Sirock
CO: Nick Sirock

+ / -

Total Posts: 51
^ From a search of him on google, that seems to confirm everything he just said, makes him look like a pretty darn good candidate, if all that is legitimate. That is of course if Scott cannot do it anymore. One of his papers is seriously called "Business Value of B2B Electronic Commerce: The Critical Role of Inter-Firm Collaboration".
Henry King

+ / -

Of course, anyone can claim to be someone they are not on the internet, and set up a scam identity. You can not be sure that someone is actually who they claim to be on a forum.
Nick Sirock
RJ: Sam Sirock
CO: Nick Sirock

+ / -

Total Posts: 51
I agree. I mean I am close to 100% sure there is someone named Theodore Clark who would be extremely qualified for running this game, but I am not 100% sure the poster is him.
Theodore Clark
RJ: RV RollbackRequester
CO: Annoyed About Bugs

+ / -

Total Posts: 11
Scott can easily verify my identity, and that I am who I say that I am. Other than Scott, I don't particularly feel any need to verify the proof of what I have already stated to anyone else, although it would not been too hard for anyone who cares enough to send an email or two to find out that I am the person that I claim to be. However, being skeptical about any claims made in a public forum on the internet is generally a wise precaution.

You need to register or login to post a reply.