Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS Newbie Station » Supermarket: Worth it yet?

Supermarket: Worth it yet?

D Patrick Michael
RJ: Castun

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 41
As of right now, I'm still only level 5 and am focused on fruit & produce, meat & dairy. I know supermarkets stock more items such as frozen foods, but do they sell more product per m2 compared to the farmer's market? I'm just wondering, because it's 4x the cost to build and expand, and as of right now I couldn't even afford to expand it to the same size as my farmer's market, even if I sell that off.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
As of now all buildings sell products at the same rate, but the supermarket is worth its price because it can sell the highest variety of products in the game. Unfortunately it is a nightmare to manage.
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
Supermarkets are golden if you have the patience. The catch is, you really need to stock those shelves! And in a supermarket, that takes a lot of time - I spent nearly two hours a few days back just repricing and restocking. But every red 'X' is lost sales, so even if you have to pay through the nose on the B2B and gouge your customers, at least you're making some money by filling that shelf space.

The good news is that a better interface is in the works and should speed things up a lot for all store owners.

Disclosure: I have a small supermarket, but I make most of my profit by producing low-supply supermarket goods and charging you through the nose for them (-:
eric scott
RJ: Erik Scott
CO: Sappo

+ / -

Total Posts: 130
I'm still not 100% sold on this idea that everyone keeps saying 'Stock all the shelves no matter the cost'

If I can stock 5 quality items, and make an easy 200-300% profit off them, why would I bother to scour the B2B or Import market for another 5 items which will return much less profit?

I understand that the more product moving out of your store the better, but at what cost...?

Why not just concentrate on your core product line and improve it

After running a hardware store for the better part of a week, and noticing gains (slowly... so very slowly)

I sold it and switched my operation over entirely to B2B sales, my revenue has jumped up to double or triple over night, and no fenangling around with 500 products just the 4-5 core products I started with
Tony Wooster
RJ: Johnny Appleseed

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
Well, it depends. If you're depleting all of your money in research and improvements, then perhaps in the long-term that works for you. If you have money sitting in your bank account not doing anything, however, you're much better off buying goods and filling your shelves, because at least then your money is working for you. Having your money go towards surplus stock of those 5 good-quality items isn't going to help you either, because all you really need is however much you need to sell per tick.

Further, since stores now cost money to upkeep -- independent of your stock levels -- you're certainly not getting the most out of them unless all of the shelves are stocked.

Of course, you can take advantage of this by selling your items at high markups in non-competitive markets on the B2B, especially those that don't have import competition (raw meats are good example). But there's no reason your B2B activities can't be supplementary to your store sales.
eric scott
RJ: Erik Scott
CO: Sappo

+ / -

Total Posts: 130
I see I see,

I just find myself doing much better financially at this time with not having to keep a store stocked and in service.

I'm sure I will have to change and adapt to keep up, in time
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
I never said "No matter the cost"!

But to answer your question, the reason you'd put those other 5 products on your shelves is that they don't harm the sales of your first five. It's free profit, as long as you're not going overboard with your inventory size. All you really need is a few days' worth, particularly for the importable items.

Meanwhile, absolutely do concentrate on your core line. Improve it! Make the best damn tennis balls Econosia has ever seen! But don't forget that somebody coming into your sporting goods store might want to pick up a racket to go with her balls.

As I said, running a store properly takes patience. If you don't want the hassle, by all means sell on the B2B.

You need to register or login to post a reply.