Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Suggestion: Eliminate Stock Market

Suggestion: Eliminate Stock Market

Aaron Barr
RJ: Aaron
CO: Aaron

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 81
Stock market, great idea, but has been the source of many problems.

1: Boring.
- A company can IPO for one time cash influx. A company can set dividends for cash outflow. Thats it from a company standpoint, and this game is about companies. From an investor standpoint, you can receive dividends or sell for higher than you purchased. Realistically these both occur at long time intervals, fine for real life, boring for a video game.

2: Exploitable.
- Obviously we've seen what can happen with the current system. Tweak the system sure, but there will always be a way unless all equations are eliminated from price. So price would have to be a purely ask/bid system. Liquidity will be a problem at that point. Either live with very low liquidity or eliminate stocks.

3: Unrealistic system.
- I think anyone who has experience in the financial markets will agree that current implementations of all the financial records are very flawed. Not to blame the dev, such things are extremely complex and extremely difficult to model. But it is unfortunately also a source of exploits. Theres a reason accountants are paid good money both to report financials for companies and audit the same companies.

tl:dr
The game has great core mechanics. I love the producing/buying/selling of goods. Introducing a stock market mechanic gives very little added value in exchange for enormous downsides.
Richard Ripberger
RJ: Rip
CO: Rip

Post Rating: -14
+ / -

Total Posts: 153
Post hidden due to its low rating (click here to show post)
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 214
+1

The reason I play this is because making stuff and sellig it is so addicting.
Aaron Barr
RJ: Aaron
CO: Aaron

+ / -

Total Posts: 81
I agree. And I think that would be an easier solution. You can blur the private/public company philosophy in financial reporting for gameplay purposes. Have a "stock market" for leader board purposes and show off balance sheet/income statements (hopefully fixed) for all the companies. but just don't let players make crazy decisions like "I'll IPO for 8G of free money". Theres too many laws and regulations concerning these activities to really model them, and not exploit them.
Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 107
+1
Marc Laird
RJ: MarcAFK

+ / -

Total Posts: 18
I think a rebalence would be in order, if at the least we removed the robots the market should equalise. When a company issues shares they should literally have to sell them on an open market, if no player wants em there's no money and they can be reissued at a lower price. No more instant cash from issueing, no more robots creating money from nowhere (only retail or exports should do this).
It would be a fairer system, Now you may ask, why would someone wish to Buy shares of a company if there aren't robots to spike te price insanely?
Dividends would create a genuine reason to buy stocks as well as the value going up on the market over time.
Though i think dividends are pai far too often, or we should be able to set smaller dividends, when i first issued 1 cent dividends it almost bankrupted my company cause it had too many shares outstanding.
At the very least if robots are actually needed to keep the shar market alive and moving realistically they should be limited to only purchasing a small percentage of stocks to prevent prices from getting out of hand.
Urist Esterar
RJ: Uristqwerty
CO: Uristqwerty

+ / -

Total Posts: 5
I don't know if it would be oversimulating it, but what if the population would only spend up to a certain limit on the stock market, that limit being how much profit they made (if a player buys from them), plus a small percentage (5%?) of all of the money paid by companies in salaries each day.

That way, it never creates money on it's own, it only cycles it from other places.
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
I quite enjoy the stock market, but I'd have no trouble with ditching it in the short to medium term. I'd be interested to see the B2B like model for it though.
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
removing completely the stock market would be really a loss for the game interest, imho.
If there is no way to make "bot investors" more smarter, let's go for ask/bid system ( why not with auction system ? It's would compensate in some way the lack of liquidity )
Kudaros Cornercutter
RJ: Kudaros

+ / -

Total Posts: 17
The stock market was the other thing that made me feel "married" to the game at times (research being the other - queues have eliminated that). I don't want to see it eliminated but it does need careful tweaking. An ask/bid system sounds great. But certainly it should be given careful thought.

For the stock market to work effectively on short time scales (as the OP has mentioned) I think an ask/bid system is the way to go.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

Post Rating: 32
+ / -

Total Posts: 167
I'd be in favor of chucking the stock market for the time being. I like the idea of it, and a revamped version may work well as an added part of the game, but to date its exploitability has had a hugely disproportionate effect on the player economy. For a game that has manufacture/wholesale/retail as the core of its draw and functionality, a side system that basically explodes all that isn't helping the game be fun for the overall playerbase.
Lorenzo Petrone
RJ: Lohoris

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
The stock market as it is makes no sense IMHO.

No robot-buyers should be involved: if it worked only player2player it could be great.
Gamma Alpha
RJ: Gammatron
CO: Gammatron

+ / -

Total Posts: 104
yeah, speculating on the stock market in a current form has nothing to do with companies real values.
John Galt
RJ: John Galt
CO: John Galt

+ / -

Total Posts: 23
I agree. Remove it for now. It can be added later when more planning can be put into its workings. Right now, it's a net drain on the game as a whole.

You need to register or login to post a reply.