Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » research labs and costs to research higher level products

research labs and costs to research higher level products

Andrew Carnegie
RJ: Andrew Carnegie
CO: Andrew Carnegie

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 94
I see one player has R&D labs upwards of several thousand sq meters, and also has the highest tech for computer/tech products. (He also has several q trillion in game cash.)

So, all things being equal, is it cheaper in game cash and faster in time to take a product from say level 80 to level 90 using a much larger research lab? I usually use R&D labs about 6M^3, and find each lvl from 70 to 80 jumps when I try to take it up a lvl from 80 to 90 to over $5 billion -- an average.

would that cost go down if I used a much larger R&D lab? Or would the larger lab only speed up the research time, but still cost the same per higher lvl?

thanks
Bruce Heitz
RJ: Berkeley Food & Farm
CO: Berkeley

+ / -

Total Posts: 162
I've been finding that if you don't research a product for a while that the cost for the next level of research will slowly drop. Basically, it isn't a whole lot of savings. I usually aim to keep the research times down to a reasonable level. If a research gets too costly, I sometimes wait to do the research until a quest for that research shows up. That way I can get my research cost for the requested level back. It is sort of like getting a free level on that product. Many of my labs are in the 30K-40K m2 size range. At that size a research will sometimes still cost me 3-4 hours per level.
Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
I think that the size of the R&D lab only affects the amount of time it takes, not the cost.

My labs are all 3500 m2. That might be small compared to other players my size; I haven't seen the need to expand them considering that when a tech level gets very high, it gets very expensive, and you can't afford to research that often anyway.
Andrew Carnegie
RJ: Andrew Carnegie
CO: Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

so if I might sum up in my own words what you said, Tiny: it's best to use game cash from other profitable companies, transfer that cash into a company , then spend the very expensive bucks to increase R&D up just one level, once one gets past 85 or 90.

I noticed a player has tech levels over 125 for several tech/computer/electronic items. he's also listed as having a net worth of over $92 Q, so clearly, he's been playing the game far longer than I have.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said.

All I'm saying is that the cost is the same no matter what the size of the R&D; going from 119 to 120 in steel, for example, will probably cost around $20 billion whether your R&D is 3,500 m2 or 35,000 m2. The difference is that the smaller one will take much more time; but can you afford to spend $20 billion that often, anyway? The 35,000 m2 R&D is only worth it if you can afford to quickly spend that much over and over, which most players cannot.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

It's better to have a very large R&D if you are getting tech levels to complete quests. For example, one of my companies currently has a quest for level 121 bauxite. It costs $58 billion to research bauxite now, but if I complete the quest, I get $58 billion back, which means I get a free level in bauxite. If my R&D was very large, it would allow me to get that $58 billion back much quicker. That cash would then be available to spend on another research quest. This is probably why some players have very large R&D's.
Mike Finn
RJ: Ben Fuller
CO: Ben Fuller

+ / -

Quests for research is how I make the bulk of my money these days. Often one will get two quests for the same research. If your R&D is big enough, you can spend the money on research and get the reward in the same day, which lessens your tax burden. Otherwise, if your research completes in a different day, you will likely come out behind unless there is more than one quest for the same research. For example, I have a quest now for research that costs and will pay $45Q. But the research takes more than 24 hrs, so I won't do it unless I get a second quest for the same research.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

45 quadrillion for a research quest. That's crazy, man.
Is that for your level 192 banana split tech?
Mike Finn

+ / -

yes, it costs (and pays back) $45Q for 192->193 upgrade of my banana split technology.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

It's a pretty funny game, if you think about it. Companies are spending more than the GNP of every country in the world on researching how to make a better banana split.
Mike Finn

+ / -

They are really, really, really good banana splits.
Giant Kin
RJ: Giantkin
CO: Giant Kin

+ / -

Total Posts: 33
lol. Make mine without strawberry, and ill try it! Sample batch only. :)
g
Mike Finn

+ / -

Now I've hit the limit where I lose money if I upgrade - between taxes, income > $92Q being lost, etc. It no longer makes sense for me to upgrade Banana Splits - so they'll stay at Q196.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Clearly, you have won the game.
Though I feel I must point out that your Rubber Duck tech is lacking.
Mike Finn

+ / -

I'll have to check in with the Rubber Duck department to see why they're lagging.

You need to register or login to post a reply.