Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » re.

re.

Zack WenJian
RJ: Zack
CO: Zack

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 114
Alexandre Genest
RJ: Trapt

+ / -

Total Posts: 6
This is a good idea. Maybe add a lab factory that can produce bluleprints of research which can be sold on the B2B market.
Matthew Suozzo
RJ: Buckaroo Bonzai

+ / -

Total Posts: 40
Research is an area in which more established companies have an obvious advantage because of the capital and time required. Creating a market for R&D, as Zack said, would open up a whole new class of corporations completely devoted to research.

I don't think selling research is a great idea but if you look to the real economy, companies like Intellectual Ventures exist only to develop new technology and license it out. I think licensing R&D would be really interesting to introduce into the EoS world. Companies would be limited in the number of licensing deals they could make for a given product and could auction the contracts off.
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
ITYM "Buy up the rights to existing technology and use it to squeeze money out of independent reinventors of trivial ideas"

(Let's *not* introduce a patent system. It'd be too depressingly realistic)
Jayle Trigger
RJ: Berry Punch
CO: Applejack

+ / -

Total Posts: 93
Considering the sale of technology... it would eventually proliferate to almost everyone having the same high tech.
Given that a number of players can just say screw it, I'm pulling out of the business, but want to make it hard for my former competitors and sells the research at dirt cheap to everyone else. Or well, just plain sharing/selling too low...

If I may suggest, if you sell the tech, you lose said tech yourself. It is gamey, but it would allow players to research and sell tech to other players as a business model.
Riloth Heldwall
RJ: Shadowy Mollusc

+ / -

Total Posts: 16
Well, we could make it work if we use language that says something like this:

Your company has contracted to conduct X research for X company for X dollars. As a condition of your contract, you have signed a NDA and will hand over all research papers to your client upon completion of the research project.
Matthew Suozzo

+ / -

Absolutely. I don't know about having a deal where one company can directly research for another, though. I think that would lead to a subversion of the inherent space limitation put forth by the game. You can only build a certain number of R&D facilities for a reason. I still like the licensing idea because it allows temporary access to a tech level that can be taxed which would prevent abuse by giant corporations.
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
How about being able to sell research time as a commodity you can't stockpile?

So you can put up an offering for up to 12 hours on a 100 m^2 beverage factory for X $/hour. If someone buys it they can select a research project for your beverage factory and it is kept active doing research for them for however long it takes to complete that one item (and maybe you can cancel it with a large penalty fee)

(Edit: This would potentially work with selling factory time too)
Matthew Suozzo

+ / -

Also a cool idea (and I'd love to see it tried out) but when you start allowing the leasing of facilities, there's no going back. One way to stem mass adoption would be to require a certain construction time when the company "moves in" and when said company leaves the facility. This would make would mean there would be a slightly longer time to research but avoiding the overhead of maintaining an R&D facility might provide enough of an incentive.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
I have seen this done in another venue. The thing that keeps the balance is that you lose the research when you sell it. So you have to start at ground zero again to "re-develop" the research level you just sold. Kind of a defacto patent, I guess. I know it isn't "reality," but neither is this game, so it is one way to consider a way to do this. I like the idea of some kind of tech trade.

Then we can all crash Q50 strawberries! 8-D

You need to register or login to post a reply.