Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Not being able to cancel upgrades is really painful

Not being able to cancel upgrades is really painful

Previous [1] 2 Next
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Total Posts: 47
So I just attempted to upgrade a large store which was making me a ton of money. The upgrade was going to take 70 hours, but no problem - I was just going to rush grow it.

...except that it turns out that I don't have enough influence. So now I've locked out my main source of revenue for the next 70 hours and completely scuppered my plans for today.

At this point I would really like to cancel it - I don't even care about losing some chunk of the money - but I can't because the game doesn't allow it.

I've ended up taking out a loan and blowing all my remaining influence and a large chunk of money to build a replacement, but the result of one slight miscalculation is that my profits for the immediate future have been cut in half and I've burned all my influence. Sigh
Innocent Bystander
RJ: Matthew Matician

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 76
Rather than post a new suggestion, I'll piggyback with a related one:

It would be very helpful to have the ability to sell/demolish part of a store. As it stands now, let's say I build up in one key area only to have the market wash away my profit margins. If I want to scale back (to avoid paying higher taxes, salaries, etc), I have to sell the whole building (which happens instantly) and then rebuild from scratch (which takes time).

If you didn't want people to be able to sell parts of buildings instantly, you could make it take a certain time to deconstruct (perhaps 1/10 the time it takes to build) and have it be idle during the quick deconstruction.
Somalian Road Corporation
RJ: SRC

+ / -

Total Posts: 20
Yeah, same thing happened to me early on because I didn't understand that stores didn't sell under construction because I hadn't run out of influence yet.
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
David: If you have some influence, and you should get a little more every night at midnightish, you can still speed it up later on. Every 5 minutes the instagrow cost goes down by 1 point. Not a perfect solution, but better than 70 hours...
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: -6
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Be sure to read the tooltips more carefully next time.
David MacIver

+ / -

Scott: Are you actually suggesting that having a tooltip that appears every single time you do something minor and routine should also be considered sufficient warning for making potentially catastrophic mistakes and that as a result there should be no mechanism for fixing those mistakes?

Because there's a couple decades of usability work that show that you're entirely wrong. That's simply not how people use computers.
David MacIver

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Mister Death: Yeah, I know. The problem is that I ended up using all my influence to recover from the disaster, so it'll take even longer to fix to the point where it's no longer worth it to hurry even once I can.

And I can't even sell my now entirely useless building until it's completed its construction, and I assume it's costing me a reasonable chunk of building maintenance during that times as well (insult to injury only really. It's not like building maintenance is that significant in comparison to my revenue, but still).
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: -2
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Because there's a couple decades of usability work that show that you're entirely wrong. That's simply not how people use computers.

Oh, it'll work, because once you make the mistake you probably won't make it again.
David MacIver

+ / -

that's an... interesting philosophy of usability you've got there. "My terrible design is good because once it's screwed you over royally you probably won't make the same innocent mistake again".

Whatever. It's your game, so it's your call obviously, but I find your stance completely baffling. This is really bad design, and blaming the user for making mistakes your bad design causes is a really poor way to design software.
David Stark
RJ: Zarkonnen
CO: David Stark

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 53
I actually just mis-clicked, or something else went wrong, and now my main store is expanding to, er, to 1647 m2. Which is scheduled to take 168 hours. I intended for it to upgrade by exactly 1 m2.

So I was already aware of the non-cancellability of the action, but due to a misplaced click, my primary source of income is now offline for a week. Which means my company is kind of doomed.

So I have to agree with David: Even perfectly experienced players who have made the same mistake before (and I have) can still have a catastrophe like this on their hands very easily.

I'm seriously kinda begging you here: please let us cancel these expansions.
Tony Wooster
RJ: Johnny Appleseed

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
How 'bout cancelable, but you gain no sq ft and you are only refunded money proportional to work that hasn't been done?
David MacIver

+ / -

I'd have no problem with that at all. The problem case for me is purely the "Oh shit I've locked my building up for far longer than I intended to" one. I don't care if making a mistake costs me a bit of money.
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
Ah, you clicked "MAX" instead of "+1" by accident! And the two buttons are so far away from each other too...

I gotta side with the plebes on this one, Scott. That's bad interface design, and that's your fault not theirs.
David Stark
RJ: Zarkonnen
CO: David Stark

+ / -

Total Posts: 53
Yeah, I'd be fine with expansion cancellation using up the proportion of money already spent but not actually increasing the store size at all. The issue is that that store was 900 square meters, and would have generated several hundred million $ in revenue over the next week.
zxektok megatron
RJ: zxektok

Post Rating: 25
+ / -

Total Posts: 140
how about on the upgrade screen - IT TELLS YOU YOUR INFLUENCE! and nxt to the time cost - have an influence number also for people looking to insta finish

that way numpties (mentioning no-one) can see if they have enough influence to finish buildings.

small but easy change.
David MacIver

+ / -

Indeed. A small but easy change which satisfies no one, doesn't solve the underlying problem and doesn't even solve all the problems mentioned in this thread.
Previous [1] 2 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.