Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Motivation

Motivation

Eric Ewing
RJ: Peebles
CO: Peebles

Post Rating: 647
+ / -

Total Posts: 16
I was reading Brent Goode's comments in the production company strategies post in which he says (and I'll paraphrase) that he is not driven by the increasing number of digits in his net worth. It is the process and the decision-making that keeps him coming back.

I have a multi-part question here, and I'd like to hear people's responses before they read my own (which I'll supply anyway for the impatient).

1) What motivates you to play?
2) What do you think motivates others to play?
3) How can the game reward people who are motivated differently to come back?

No really, think of your own answers first.

For me, I enjoy the little bits of fine tuning through the day. I'll adjust the price of my tomatoes to see how it affects my market share. I'll rotate my crops. I'll post something in the forums to see if anyone buys my mango juice or strawberry banana smoothies on the B2B market. I revisit my P & L to look for patterns. I think I started playing after most others, so I don't think I'll make any leader boards. Even if I had started early, my method tends to be slow and steady rather than bold and risky. The good thing is that I'm playing the way I like.

I do think others are motivated by the big dollars, but I would think that this would become tiresome after a while. I think others are motivated by trying to visualize the guts of the thing. That is, there are spreadsheet junkies who will reverse-engineer the formulas for fun. There is a final group of people who just want to mess with things to see what will break. There are business-world parallels for ALL of these personality types.

So what would keep these different groups coming here? An achievement system? A way to spend their cash on luxury items they could show off in the game? A tiered customization (meaning, for example, that you can't upload your profile photo until a certain fame level)?

I have no problems nor solutions. I'm just interested in what other people think.

Peebles
Consolidated Eats
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Cool post, and one of the most meaningful I have seen here. I am as interested as you are about the responses.

I think the last full paragraph sums up my earliest thoughts on things to do to give something like meaning to an "end game," for lack of better term. Thank you for paraphrasing me so fairly.
Nathan Dilday
RJ: ndkid
CO: ndkid

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
When I first came here, the net worth motivated me. Then I realized the path to zeroes seemed to mostly involve either being an early adopter or exploiting bugs. At that point, it became more about understanding the system. I enjoyed calculating myself the 2x cost pricing maxima implied by the demand model. In short, I enjoyed the spreadsheet gameplay.

Once my companies started to be sufficiently well-funded that I didn't have to keep restocking every few hours, I shifted into a diversification phase, where I used my earnings to spin off new specialized companies. (The Dildain brand is up to four pieces, but growth slowed down when I stopped being VP of Toast Industries, as that was one of my bigger personal earners, combined with the slowdown of profit I've had from the retail changes.)

Overall, I look forward to the new server, and an eventual more-sophisticated achievement system. I would love to see product-by-product charts, especially over time, so I could see how my market share has grown or fallen over the years.

I keep hoping for a real-estate change that combines the three varieties of building into a single area, because I think that would then lead to a notion of "company direction" that would affect the sorts of questions your company gets.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
I would have to go back and look, but wasn't he going to make the single plot maps still with 36 plots? I think you are right on the psychology of the thing, but mathematically, it is strictly a change for technical purposes, if that is the case.

If he does do the single plot, I would like to have the ability to buy any plot location at any time. I could have a better organization of my layout then. Forcing us to buy a specific plot at a time would be a recipe for complaints about the visual chaos created. He has enough headaches already, I suspect.
Nathan Dilday
RJ: ndkid
CO: ndkid

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
I don't agree that even a map with 36 plots on which you can build each sort of building is the same as a map of twelve plots for each of production, retail, and R&D. Many specialized companies simply can't use all of the R&D space they currently have effectively. Given that salary goes up by the 1.2 power, there may be cost breakpoints (depending on the size of your production runs) to increasing number of factories before increasing size of factory.

While it doesn't make real-world sense, I agree, being able to cluster your buildings helps make navigating easier, and would be even more useful in an all-buildings-in-one-place model. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, the three screens could remain separate screens, it'd just be the availability of land on any one of those screens would depend on how much land you use in all three.

You need to register or login to post a reply.