Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Lawsuits/Jury Court System

Lawsuits/Jury Court System

Chandler Hill
RJ: Chandler
CO: Chandler

Post Rating: 46
+ / -

Total Posts: 54
So I started thinking about the whole jackos debacle and how players could potentially deal with someone who griefs their company after being placed in a position of trust.

Why not a Jury Court System?

Let's just run through an example.

Player A, "Jack", pays a $1,000,000.00 court fee to sue Player B, "Kevin", for $8,000,000.00 because he tanked Jack's company during his time as CEO. Jack submit a lawsuit with a description of what he did and the restitution sought (in this case, $7 million for ruining his company + $1 million for court fees), and it gets sent to Kevin, who has 72 hours to respond with a defense before it is automatically a guilty plea and restitution is awarded to the plaintiff from the defendant's pocket (to prevent suing potentially inactive players, make it so you can only sue someone who's been active within the previous 72 hours). Once the defense has sent in a position, 7 random players who have been active within the past 24 hours receive a "jury summons"-- they get to read the plaintiff's argument, the defendant's argument, and then choose a side. Ignoring a jury summons defaults the vote to defendant, because innocent until proven guilty, and perhaps fining the truant juror. Majority rules, if the plaintiff wins they get restitution, if the defendant wins nothing happens except the plaintiff has spent a million on court fees.

I just haven't worked out what happens if the player themselves doesn't have enough money to cover their fine if say Jack wins and Kevin doesn't have the money to pay him. I don't know. This is just a loose idea that I think would be cool.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Thanks, I'm delighted to see this post.
D Patrick Michael
RJ: Castun

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 41
If the defendant doesn't have enough cash on hand to pay the ruling, then the plaintiff should be awarded property from the defendant, whether it be goods from their warehouse, stock shares, or failing that even losing buildings or building space (which can either be transferred to the plaintiff, or liquidated into cash to make up for it.

Also, I feel that those summoned jurors would need to see financial records of some sort as well to make a ruling, otherwise cases would all end up being a 'he said-she said' in the case where the damages done by the defendant weren't so cut and dry.

You need to register or login to post a reply.