Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS Newbie Station » Fuckin' stocks, how do they work?

Fuckin' stocks, how do they work?

Gheed Baiwa ben sandara
RJ: Bob
CO: Bob

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvmvxAcT_Yc

I had a question about stocks.. how is the price determined? It changed alot since I last played. I set mine at 25 dolla each, will they remain that value always?
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
It's a mystery....no one knows....
Jayson Drake Tan
RJ: Ben
CO: Ben

+ / -

Total Posts: 74
yup, one of the great mysteries of the game..
Hajji Pajji
RJ: Trade Merchant
CO: VonDutch

+ / -

Total Posts: 194
Price is not a mystery, arguable just "dumb"

The price is whatever you sell it for to have another player buy it from....

For example: So if your Thracian and have your second account Eki sell you a billion dollar company for .01 share, that's what the stocks worth....

On the other hand, 24hrs before this, Eki sold some minority shares to active players for 1,000,000 share, since players paid that much, the stock price was worth that much....
Brent Goode

+ / -

Uh...what are you saying here, Hajji? Is there something you would like to put before the non-existant Curcuit Court of Econosia? :-P
chris young
RJ: CEO 123
CO: Chris Young

+ / -

Total Posts: 19
are dividends implemented in the game?
Hajji Pajji

+ / -

Yes, but rarely given out...

To be honest, why would anyone pay divedends...
chris young
RJ: CEO 123
CO: Chris Young

+ / -

Total Posts: 19
to make the investment worthwhile?

why would I pay into a company if it will never pay dividends?
Hajji Pajji

+ / -

I think the answer is;

Because if you don't someone else will

Or

Because Big Comapanies can't fail, so eventually you can sell your shares at a profit

I'm with you, but unfortunately my response is how it currently works
James Melvin
RJ: The Big Cheese
CO: James Melvin

+ / -

Total Posts: 20
Stock Market is beyond pointless. I like the bid ask concept, and the ability to go private..but not having performance impact the prices is pretty lame. Judging by the number of buy backs out there, I am assuming most agree.

Scott, any intention of changing this?
Brent Goode

+ / -

AS much as I hate to say it, I agree with Hajji on dividends. No one has to pay them because no one has to sell any shares anyway. By owning 100% of shares, you get to have the benefits of a public stock without the responsibilities, so why pay anything? And with James' point about not having a calculated value to a stock to help drive the need for a dividend to attract investors, the market does become all but useless. However, to James' point about calculating a share value...it won't do much to change anything in a player driven market. And I don't mind a player driven market. But a lot of teaching needs to be done about what makes a good stock. As I have written before, the "book value" James is looking for, converted to a value per share, is not an indication of a good investment. Executive pay, dividends and EPS are all better numbers to consider.

I watched a player declare a salary jump to $500 million and bonuses yesterday, after a full day of not using the company at all. He seem to be clearly milking out the cash before leaving the dead husk of the company to die off. If he had to account for that in his stock, no one would buy and we could sue him in court as investors for gross mismanagement.(Yes, Hajji, you CAN do that in RL)

At the moment, there appears to be only benefits for the owner of a company to go public, with no responsibility to sell shares, consider shareholders, or be held accountable for anything else he/she may choose to do to scam the system.

I have the following ideas that I have been mulling around:
-Loans in public companies are limited to some formula based on shares in public hands. something like 1% plus % of shares-public.
-Executive compensation is limited to some formula unless voted on by public shareholders that don't include the chairman. They can further be hampered by loan size, rating (see below) and other such factors. Like having a AI Board of Directors. Not perfect, but you get where it is going...
-A rating system, like a Moody's, that rates companies based on things like percentage of shares public, compensation balance, EPS, P/E, dividend, loans carried, etc. Carrying a high grade consistently gives the Chairman big time Fame and Influence points, as well as a higher potential compensation allowance.

For those that think this is somehow draconian, I would only remind you that you need no go public at all. You can stay private and do things the long hard way. But if you want to go public, you have to be at least a little responsible to the public realm. Even in RL, a company must please the idiots on TV that tell us what to think. This isn't so bad, really, and it will give a little missing punch to the stock market part of the game.

I think.

You need to register or login to post a reply.