Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Exploiting the arithmetic-geometric mean inequality

Exploiting the arithmetic-geometric mean inequality

Previous 1 [2] Next
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I'll give myself the most work by using both ideas:
1. Use accelerating display
2. Take the 10% penalty on returned resources - so near 10% penalty at the start, and next to no penalty when you cancel at the end.
Chad the Launderer
RJ: Synreal
CO: Synreal

+ / -

Total Posts: 148
Would be nice if your production actually sped up over the course of a run. It would reflect the factories skill with processing the current order. For example, a new order is placed to make Earrings. At first, the earrings are produced at 80% of speed due to the necessary retooling/retraining of employees. The 80% slowly increases until it is 200% towards the end of a 168hr run. A small, highly trained staff can surely produce more goods than a bunch of bumbling idiots who are doing a task for the first time. This idea could work together or replace parts of the current EoS mechanics.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

It'll be associated with employee training costs - a function not yet implemented.
Billy Vierra
RJ: Saffrian
CO: Billy Vierra

+ / -

Total Posts: 84
I actually work as the IT Director for a factory. I know with how we work, you have a large cost up front (for raw mats) and it usually has a number of steps before the 1st item is even made.

This of it like this for making Bread:
Step 1: Getting all the flour and water to the mixers and mixing it
Step 2: Cutting all of the dough into correct size for the pans
Step 3: Firing all the pans
Step 4: Cooling the pans
Step 5: Packaging the Bread

You don't take each piece through 1 at a time, you would do it all in run(s). So it may take 10% - 20% at the beginning before you get your 1st piece out. You would also have probably mixed all the flour / water by 50% done to make dough.

In my opinion (and I know you already started work on it so ignore as you please) you should give a min or 2 to cancel with no penalty in case of miss-click. Somewhere around 25% you start getting finished product. At 50% all raw mats are destroyed so a cancel after that would give you whatever finished goods you have completed. This of course should be with a big warning :)
Walter Yorkshire
RJ: Walter Yorkshire
CO: Walter Yorkshire

+ / -

Total Posts: 132
Billy's idea is quite good, also his point to have a 'mistake' window of 2 minutes where you get no penalty can help prevent costly mistakes.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

No, I haven't started working on it yet, but the mistake window idea is definitely something I have not thought of - it's helpful and it's easy to implement.

Would it still be linear output from 25% to 100%? Not having to calculate acceleration certainly makes things easier.
Billy Vierra

Post Rating: 36
+ / -

Yea linear would work well, once you get everything lined up and rolling, its pretty straight forward from them on out.

At my company we have a pre-processing lead time which changes based on job (and client) that includes the time for paperwork, getting the raw mats in and prepared, etc. I think for EOS that a 25% pre-processing time for everything should be fine.

One thing that may cause an issue is when you have a 100+ hour run. 25% of that time is really a lot. An option for that is to do 25% of the time or 12 hours whichever is lower.
zxektok megatron
RJ: zxektok

+ / -

Total Posts: 140
i actually like and prefer it the way it is, i can set 90 hours production run
if i can log on during work then great, if not i should be able to do it at home to change product. If not - im not losing anything.
The way i do that is by cancelling.
What if you go through all your stock of 1 item and are currently making a different one? do you wait? Currently i stop and produce my new one. I am not disadvantaged IF I DONT keep logging on and tracking how much i sell every 15 minutes....

Too much realism kills games - chillax yo ;) (look at GTA)

more items yes :)
production queue's yes :)
research queues maybe :)
auto buy/ standing order maybe :)
realism no

i dont want to have to hire a HR team to find staff because 1 girl got knocked up and i have some people off sick...
i dont want to get a lawsuit because someone found a worm in their apple....

realism sometimes suck balls in a game. currently i like it - it being a relaxed co-op game.

Some people seem to want more automation -> queues for ease->relaxed
Some people seem to want less automation -> upfront costs -> expensive finishing early-> strict log on times ->higher player activity needed

i belong to the first category - i prefer this as a social game to run around my daily life.

So where i stand - is leave it as is -> too many cooks spoil the broth (sorta thing)

Billy Vierra

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Unless I am missing something this is the issue, please let me know if I am wrong. The more you create the cheaper they are per item, in terms of raw mats as well as money. So you create a HUGE production. Let it run for 30min and stop it. You don't have the cost (once again in terms of money and mats) for the amount you created used up, you have the cost of per item at the HUGE run cost * the number you made.
CEO Kogut
RJ: Kogut

+ / -

Total Posts: 29
Accelerating production is ridiculous, 10% costs are upfront + mistake window is way better (and easier to code)
Billy Vierra

+ / -

Accelerating production is ridiculous, 10% costs are upfront + mistake window is way better (and easier to code)

That is not a bad idea either, while not as realistic, it would at the very least be a good in-between if it takes a while to program the other way.
Previous 1 [2] Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.