Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS Newbie Station » Documentation?

Documentation?

John Smith
RJ: Petri Dish
CO: Johann Smith

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 42
Hey,

I just started and this looks like a fun game, but so far I haven't found solid documentation on what is possible where, e.g. finding the fees for the b2b market wasn't easy. And I'm still looking for how I can place my own *offers* for products on the b2b market (I easily found where I can place my own *requests* on the b2b market).

I found the wiki, but that one seems to only have small amounts of information (besides the formulas), and I found this forum, but the forum doesn't seem to even support searching :-(

Did I miss something?
Thanks!
Mike Finn
RJ: Ben Fuller
CO: Ben Fuller

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 94
Documentation is scant or non-existent as far as I can tell. But to sell your own stuff on B2B - do that from your warehouse. You put in a quantity and a sales price and click on the '$' button.
Andrew Carnegie
RJ: Andrew Carnegie
CO: Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

this is one possible "fair market" price to offer your products for sale on B2B marketplace

take the QA of your product, divide by 50, add result to 1.00, multiply result by "Wholesale Value" (easily found by clicking on Icon for that product in EOSPedia)

not all players use this formula, but it is perhaps the "fairest" price overall for what you want to sell

if you check listing prices for the same product you want to sell, at the same qa, more or less, you often find the seller asks far more than this formula suggests

my best analogy is if you went to an Apple Store, and they wanted to charge you $1,500 for the lates iPhone, rather than the more usual $700 or so

sure, I'm sure they "could" do it -- but would that truly be a "fair market price?"

anyway, hope the above formula helps

and btw, thank Bruce Heitz, who posts often in these forums, for this simple to understand formula
John Smith

+ / -

Thank you both - I guess I could take this as motivation to put whatever I find into the wiki ;-P

One question regarding the formula: Isn't this kinda price-fixing? :-) Sure via that formula you might want to make sure nobody charges more than is "fair", but it also means people have no reason to go below what that formula dictates ..
John Smith

+ / -

Two more quick questions:

(1) Is each company eventually going to be limited by the amount of land spaces you can buy? I.e. there is a hard limit as to how many different types of buildings a single company can own (though each of these buildings can be expanded in terms of m^2). At least right now it looks to me like this map will only offer a limited amount of spaces.

(2) Is there a way to do direct trades between companies (e.g. if you own multiple), or is the public b2b the only way? This question is of course somewhat inspired by question (1).

Thanks!
Mike Finn
RJ: Ben Fuller
CO: Ben Fuller

+ / -

1) Yes
2) No

And there are some tampermonkey scripts that help with prices and skipping NPC items.
http://userscripts-mirror.org/users/540170.html
Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
The formula:

warehousevalue = ((quality/50)+1)*wholesalevalue

is only a guideline. It's actually just the formula the game uses to determine the value of the stuff in your warehouse -- and the value of your warehouse is added to your company's networth.

You can, of course, sell things on the B2B for more or less if you want. If you offer something for sale on the B2B for less than it's warehousevalue, someone might buy it just to increase their company's networth, and your company's networth will go down.
Bruce Heitz
RJ: Berkeley Food & Farm
CO: Berkeley

+ / -

Total Posts: 162
Just my own 2 cents worth....Most people who try to play fair will use the above formula. Sometimes you will find cheaper prices than this, but the formula mentioned above offers a medium ground for both partners to the trade to profit fairly. Sometimes this also means that the formula price will end up being lower than the NPC price. But it also means you can often find better quality products, which will help your profits in the long term. With new companies I sometimes will offer higher than this price when buying from them, and lower than this price when selling to them. I also often quote this formula to new players so they can determine if what they are buying from the market could be higher than what it is worth.
Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

I've recently been re-reading some great books on the financial crisis of 2007 - 2009. They all have a common theme to them: notwithstanding the Ayn Rand -- Alan Greenspan -- Ronald Reagan -- Margaret Thatcher -- Chicago School of thought, that holds free markets always and everywhere are the most efficient means of allocating both labor and capital in our global free market capitalist system, history proves ample evidence that even pure free markets fail regularly, and when they fail big time, as they did in 1929 or 2007 - 2009, the results are devastating to hundreds of millions in not to billions.

One of the most fascinating concepts I've come upon is what social scientists call "The Prisoner's Dilemma," something that can get applied to the study of why separate companies don't take actions that, in the end, would benefit both the firms as well as the greater community.

Simply put, there are two theoretical suspects in separate interrogation rooms. They're both given the following deal: confess, and get a reduced sentence; or remain silent, and if found guilty, get the full sentence.

Now, each suspect knows the other suspect has been given the same proposal. So, while it might seem logical for both to remain silent, as they don't know if the other suspect will narc them out, they each narc the other one out.

How does this apply to Capitalism? Easy. As one example, take two coal-burning power plants, run by different firms, serving more or less the same area. Say each earns $10 million a year belching black sooty coal smoke from their plants. For $25 million, they could each earn $15 million after installing equipment that reduces the soot, thus making the air in the community far cleaner, with the added benefit of increasing their profits.

but if only one firm installs the equipment, its profits fall to $5 million a year, while the other firm's profits increase to $20 mil a year.

(All numbers a very over-simplified, just to make the example's point.)

So, the CEO's of both firms decide to not install equipment that would reduce air pollution and would over time increase their utility company profits.

And this is the huge flaw of global free market capitalism.

We see it even here in out tiny fictitious world of EOS. While it would be logical to price things more "fairly" (not to collude, as that isn't fair either), each of us , operating on a strictly selfish basis, ends up sacrificing potential gains.

This explains some of the outrageous prices one sees on the B2B market.
Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
Capitalism isn't perfect, of course; that's because people aren't perfect.

EOS isn't a perfect business simulation. It's too easy to produce lots of different products yourself without having to rely on other companies. The only reason there is any interaction on the B2B at all is because it would be too much of a pain in the ass to run 200 companies that produce everything you need.

I'm not sure where you are seeing outrageous prices. Many prices I see aren't much over their warehouse value, and many lately have been lower than warehouse value. It's reasonable to expect to make a profit when selling things on the B2B. If you've spent billions getting the highest tech and the highest quality, it's reasonable to expect people to pay higher prices for your product.
Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

But what we practice in the world today isn't even remotely related to what students allegedly learn in college that real free market Capitalism is. There are far too many protective tariffs imposed by governments (something Adam Smith strongly denounced), and as I tried to make clear in the example I used (taken right out of an excellent book titled "How Markets Fail") , there are far too many costs that no corporation (and often, no consumer) pays for.

That does not mean those costs don't get paid; they do. They get paid by our unrelenting degradation of the global environment, or as in the case of the state where I live -- California -- we see the lack of true "market based prices" for water now catching up to us, as we enter our fourth year of an historic drought in modern times.

Farmers and even cities are trying to dig ever deeper wells, to pump up water from the state's aquifer. The problem is, this causes the aquifer to sink that much further.

The same principle applies to air pollution. No one "owns" the airspace over a factory that belches highly toxic smoke. Yet we know such toxic smoke causes all kinds of human (and I'm sure, plant and animal) damage. Cancers and all kinds of fun diseases.

Who should pay for such "market costs" in an allegedly perfectly deregulated marketplace?

The answer , of course, is there has to be some degree of acceptance of some government regulation. Just as we all accept speed limits on city streets, so both vehicles and pedestrians can safely travel, and not have to worry about some nut driving at 50 mph in a residential neighborhood, so too will we have to accept some government regulation of the marketplace, especially key areas such as finance.

As far as EOS, all I can say is this:

when I started playing (I forget when that was), I followed the example of orchards to produce fruit. At first, when I played, there were plenty of B2B requests for fruit of various qa, at reasonable prices. I did quite well, without taking advantage of any one player's B2B requests.

Next thing I knew, all the B2B requests for fruit vanished.

I switched to clothing, noticing there were several demands for clothing. Same thing happened.

So I don't know what to say; I only know of my personal experience in playing EOS, and not seeing very much player cooperation. I agree with you, btw: it's a total pain to run a dozen firms, just to take raw resources and move them up the industrial food ladder to make the final goods I can sell in my own stores.

I would much rather cooperate with other players and sell them semi or final finished goods, but unless I know there B2B requests will remain constant, it's a more productive use of my time (no real money in this game!) to manage a dozen firms.

Giant Kin
RJ: Giantkin
CO: Giant Kin

+ / -

Total Posts: 33
I am somewhat new to this game. (8months?)
I started this game, Looking for something new, and with the intent of a Team of players, working together. For the most part its been working rather well. After some rocky starts, and revision of how we did things. (b2b initially, now req only) saved a fortune.

g

You need to register or login to post a reply.