Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS Newbie Station » Differences between shops

Differences between shops

Timothy Martin
RJ: Empty Inc
CO: Empty

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 29
Why are some shops just more profitable then others?

It's really noticeable. Is there a reason for that? (And I mean on CO not EoS)
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Gross dollars/item can be part of it. Ease of getting into the business can skew how many players are competing in a field, making a difference. Ease of acquiring affordable products from the import markets could make the difference. There are many things really.
Timothy Martin

Post Rating: -12
+ / -

Post hidden due to its low rating (click here to show post)
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
You're right, it must be magic.
Timothy Martin

+ / -

Can someone explain to me the magic trick then?

Are some markets just plain better then others? Or am I missing something?
I've dominated the toy market since the beginning. But have only seen 1/5th the profit of other markets that have a lot of competition.

(This is a problem on EoS as well.)
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
Yea, it's a pretty major problem with the whole system really. The higher priced items have always had WAY more profit potential than low priced items. The demand is just set up in such a way that you might sell 10,000 $1 items in a day, but if you sell a $10,000 item you can sell 10 of em.

That's why all the top companies right now are selling: Cars, appliances, electronics, aircraft, etc. Midnight Sun was dominating the top score chart with cars for a while there. BallC sold $100 million worth of aircraft in one day. I get around $20-25 million out of electronics and I'm getting most of the market share on most of the products. Food markets might only have the potential to make $10 million or less.

Electronics has some crappy products too. Here is an interesting example: Light bulbs. I'm getting 5.71k a tick selling light bulbs with 68% demand met. I get 24.3k selling gaming consoles with the same store space at 72% demand met. And I get 25k selling digital cameras even at over 90% demand met. I only get 9k selling microchips with a mere 57% demand met. Most of the food products are like the light bulbs and microchips.
Jim Frazer
RJ: Kenneth Noisewater
CO: Kenneth Noisewater

+ / -

Total Posts: 25
I think one problem with high price items is that it's so easy to make a fortune with nothing but imports. The profit margin is high whether you produce it yourself. Most other products require you to build a whole infrastructure to support them to maximize your per-item profits.

If I sell a boat for $3 mil (3x import), it matters little to me if I bought it for $1mil on the import market or I spend $100k worth of raw materials to make it. It's still a huge profit. Compare that to, say, a rubix cube which will sell for $120 and is on the import for $40 (or whatever it's at). In that case you have a huge incentive to build the full manufacturing to get your per-unit cubes down to $3.
Cian Kemp

+ / -

Well, it was more balanced back when we could sell every item in the list instead of just 8 since most of the low profit items (food specifically) had a ton of variety in their stores. Right now an aircraft or watercraft shop can sell every item in its list at once - while a Supermarket can only sell a tiny portion. Having a fully stocked supermarket used to be profitable since you had so many items, even if they were low profit individually - now you only get 8 low-profit items.
Cian Kemp

+ / -

Yea toys have always been pretty crummy, even manufacturing them yourself. Before the 8 item limit they were still really limited in scope, and after the 8 item limit they just didn't have the value to be good products. And with such a small product assortment you can't juggle products much to take advantage of the demand met like you can for things like sporting goods and hardware and clothing.

I had a big toy company in beta (or rather I have it, but I don't bother running it anymore) and it made 1/3 of the money of the sporting goods company.

You need to register or login to post a reply.