Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Monopoly sales

Monopoly sales

Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
I have noticed that when I am the only person selling a product (e.g., apple sorbet), when I raise the price, the sales only decrease for a few ticks before coming almost back up to the original rate. For instance, I raised my apple sorbet price from $12 to $15 and then $20, and I've gone from selling 11 or 12 a tick to selling 10 or 11 a tick. The same behaviour occurs with any product where I'm the only seller, but even a competitor with say 10% of the market share brings the curve right back down to inverse-square. Do I get to know why this is happening, or is it a trade secret? (-:
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Here are the 2 most important excerpts from the selling equation, and I'm sure this will answer your question:

# sold is directly proportional to
( (1 + 0.02 * (quality - quality_avg)) * (value_avg + value_base) )^2

Note the ^2 at the end, and both value_avg and quality_avg are based on the past 3 hours (12 ticks). Of course depending on player feedback, I can adjust that to 6 hours, 12 hours, or even 3 days as in the beginning.
Mister Death

+ / -

I get roughly how the formula works. (By the way, instead of a sliding window, you could use a weighted average by using, say, 1*current tick + k*previous weighted average...this would mean that recent sales have a greater influence than older sales, but doesn't cut things off at an arbitrary time point.) But somehow my sales keep coming back up when I'm the only one selling.

As an experiment, 3 ticks ago I popped my supermarket's apple sorbet price to $40, which is about 27x wholesale...but I suspect that within 3 hours, unless somebody else starts selling some, I'll be back up to 9 sales per tick or so.
Mister Death

+ / -

And, as predicted ... 9 or 10 sales each of the last three ticks. Something is obviously broken if I can double my prices and only lose 10% of my sales rate.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Isn't that how monopoly works? :-)

But I see your concern, in response I'll be enlarging the window to 12 hours. As for the weighted calculations, since it will only make monopolies more profitable, I will save it for later. Another thing is I'll add another equation to pull the average price closer to the base value, and pull average quality closer to 0. So you will still see some effects after a prolonged price adjustment.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Guess I'll be open about some new changes to make people love me more:

• "System" selling products at 2.5x base_value at 30 quality - prevents uncontrolled monopoly

• Raised price_multiplier from 1.2 to 1.3 - more sales for everyone

• Changed selltime from (base_value^0.50)/10 to (base_value^0.67)/28 - favors smaller items a little more, as I noticed with ^0.50 larger items are selling too fast

EDIT: Newest selltime adjusted to (base_value^0.62)/23 after viewing the results from 1:45 A.M.
EDIT 2: 2nd adjust to (base_value^0.60)/21 at 10:13 P.M.

You need to register or login to post a reply.