Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Higher Quality Electricity

Higher Quality Electricity

Chandler Hill
RJ: Chandler
CO: Chandler

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 54
So all electricity is Q0 and it's not researchable. I feel like this could be expanded upon, with higher quality electricity giving a bonus of some sort. Potential high quality electricity bonuses could be faster production or cheaper production. Just for there to be some benefit.
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
Electricity quality doesn't really make sense...
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
Our electrons come from Fiji! And our sine waves are completely smooth! (-:

Yeah, no matter what line the audiophiles try to feed you, electric current is electric current.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
It could have plausible value for a subset of production lines, if we wanted to play with the idea. Just pick the right abstraction: don't think of it as better electrons, think of it as better consistency and precision of delivery of targeted power. Like, the relative power surge or brown-out tolerance of a household vacuum cleaner vs. a nanometer process CPU fabrication plant. You can be darned sure Intel cares an awful lot about the quality of the electrical grid.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Heh, kind of torn 50/50 here. I'll make it 60/40 against high quality electricity.

After all, the brownout/blackout is due to lack of quantity, and the delivery is based on infrastructure and distance.
Mister Death

+ / -

I find it amusing that we're trying to inject "real worldiness" into electricity in the most unlikely ways while ignoring the elephant in the room: Electricity that gets stored in our warehouse until we need it! I'm trying to imagine the size of the batteries our companies have...

@Josh: Intel doesn't give a rat's ass what the quality of the electricity is that comes into their plant, as long as they get enough kilowatts. Sure they have backup generators, but the "quality" of the electric signal that comes out of them is just as noisy and gritty as what they get from Hetch Hetchy. Not much you can do about it either - even if you had the cleanest sine wave in the world coming out of the power plant, by the time it gets to Mountain View, California, it's been through so many copper wires and transformers that we're lucky it's still 60 Hz! Sure they clean it up in-house so that the right atoms get deposited on the subtrates at the right spots, but that's an electronics factory end thing, rather than a power plant thing.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
Abstraction! Though I suppose its as fair or more to argue that the cost of delivering really solid electrical current within a sensitive process is properly abstracted as a higher cost at the factory level, so I don't really have much of a stick to shake here.
Space Butler
RJ: Space Butler
CO: Space Butler

+ / -

Total Posts: 19
I don't think higher quality electricity makes too much sense. I understand the idea behind modelling cleaner circuits, but it doesn't make sense on the supply side.
Alexia Perdhaer
RJ: Alexia Perdhaer

+ / -

Total Posts: 100
I think anyone who's ever lived in a third world country realizes electricity (supply) quality TOTALLY makes sense.
Mister Death

+ / -

I spent two years in Nigeria. They had maybe 20 m^2 of power plant for the whole country (-:, but when it was on it ran the lights and fans just fine. Supply and quality are completely separate issues.

You need to register or login to post a reply.